New Hanover County Health & Human Services Building
New Hanover County has built a new Health and Human Services building that will co-locate the county’s Public Health Department and Department of Social Services (DSS) to provide convenience for clients and create efficiencies in service offerings.
The new building is located behind the former DSS site located at 1650 Greenfield Street.
Beginning on October 21, Social Services staff began operating out of the new building. Over the next few months, the former Social Services building will be torn down and a parking lot will be built. During this time, Social Services clients can park behind the new building, entering the back parking lot from 16th Street (entrance is directly after Greenfield Street).
Public Health Services, daily operations, and staff are now a part of the Health And Human Services building, effective Monday, February 17, 2020.
The new Health and Human Services building was designed by Sawyer Sherwood and Associates, and was built by Monteith Construction. The new building includes:
- Four stories
- 96,103 square feet
- A large multipurpose room (3,300 square feet) on the first floor with the ability to split the room using a movable wall
- A green roof and roof terrace located on the third floor, accessible through a large staff break room on the fourth floor
- Tall windows on all floors to allow plenty of natural light into office spaces
- Energy efficient features – Duke Energy estimates the building will consume 29% less energy than a standard office building of the same size.
- A public transportation stop located conveniently at the public entrance of the building
- May 23, 2018: Groundbreaking ceremony was held to officially kick off the construction phase of the project .
- June 2018: Construction begins
- October 2019: Building complete, DSS staff move in and services begin from new building
- November-January: Former DSS building torn down and a new parking lot built in its place
- February 2020: Public Health staff will move in and begin services in the new building