Wireless Access Initiative
New Hanover County is working with Live Oak Bank and New Hanover County Schools to increase free wireless internet access throughout the county for children and families who lack access to high-speed internet. This will benefit students during virtual learning and will be helpful to job seekers who don’t have internet access otherwise.
In the initial phase of this collaboration, New Hanover County has extended outdoor, free public wireless access at the following county-owned locations:
- NHC Government Center – south parking lot & inside building during business hours (230 Government Center Drive)
- Health and Human Services parking lot (1650 Greenfield Street)
- Register of Deeds parking lot (320 Chestnut Street)
- Cape Fear Museum Park (corner of Market and 8th streets)
- Downtown Library Story Park (corner of 3rd and Chestnut streets)
- Northeast Public Library branch – parking area on left of building (1241 Military Cutoff Road)
- Pine Valley Library branch – parking area in front of the outdoor chessboard (3802 S College Road)
- Pleasure Island Library branch – parking area in front of entrance (1401 N Lake Park Blvd. #72, Carolina Beach)
- Environmental Management administration parking lot (3002 U.S. Highway 421 North)
- Castle Hayne Fire Department parking lot (5311 Castle Hayne Road)
- Porters Neck Fire Department parking lot (8310 Shiraz Way)
Signs are up in these locations, notifying residents of the free Wi-Fi access points. The county’s network name is “NHC_FreeWifi” and does not require a password to access.
There are also several school locations that have extended wireless outside buildings, and a list of those drive-up Wi-Fi sites can be viewed here and on the map linked below.