On September 5, 2017, County Commissioners adopted a new Non-County Agency Funding Policy to ensure transparency, accountability, consistency, and adherence to best practices. This policy also establishes eligibility criteria for outside agencies and the required public process for consideration and allocation of funding by the Board of County Commissioners.
Two information sessions on the new policy were held at the NHC Government Center on October 23 and October 31 where staff explained the new policy, selection process, and timeline. The presentation and a video of the training can be viewed below under the Training Materials tab. The new policy and processes will be effective beginning with the FY19 Budget.
New Hanover County’s Non-County Agency Funding is done on an annual basis. Applications for FY19 (July 1, 2018 – June 30, 2019) can be found under the Applications tab below, and are due by 5 p.m. on January 31, 2018. Agencies are required to submit a complete application, including all required documentation, in order to be eligible for consideration for funding.
November 15 – Applications available online
January 5 – Submission deadline for written questions about the application or process
January 8 – Answers to FAQ posted on this page
January 31 – Agency applications and required documentation are due by 5 p.m.
March 30 – Non-county agency funding recommendations due
April 16 – Formal presentation of Recommended Budget
June 4 – Public Hearing on FY19 Budget
June 18 – Board Adopts FY19 Budget
The New Hanover County Non-County Agency Funding Committee will meet at 12:30 p.m. on the following dates at the New Hanover County Government Center, located at 230 Government Center Drive in Wilmington:
- Wednesday, February 7, 2018 – Finance Conference Room, Suite 500
- Wednesday, February 14, 2018 – Human Resources Training Room B
- Thursday, February 22, 2018 – Lucie Harrell Conference Room, Suite 601
- Wednesday, February 28, 2018 – Lucie Harrell Conference Room, Suite 601
- Wednesday, March 7, 2018 – Lucie Harrell Conference Room, Suite 601
- Tuesday, March 20, 2018 – Lucie Harrell Conference Room, Suite 601
- Wednesday, April 4, 2018 – Lucie Harrell Conference Room, Suite 601
The meetings will be held for the purpose of: developing an evaluation tool; receiving additional information about the county’s strategy, programs and budget; discussing and evaluating non-county agency funding applications received; having an opportunity to seek clarification about applications from agencies and to determine agencies to receive funding; making funding recommendations; and providing feedback to agencies.
Note: The application is a fillable PDF that can be saved on your computer as you work on it. To apply for more than one program/service, you can complete an application form for each program and upload them altogether. If you do not submit all of your applications at one time, you will be required to resubmit the required documentation with each application.
Step 2: Collect the required five supporting documents to submit with your application:
- IRS Tax Exempt Letter (501c3, 501c6) or Enabling Legislation for Governmental Entity
- Most recent IRS 990, 990-EZ, or 990N Form
- NC Solicitation License or Exemption Letter
- Articles of Incorporation
- Board of Directors Roster
Optional Documents for New Applicants or Agencies with Changes:
Step 3: Fill out the brief form below and upload your complete application and all five supporting documents no later than 5 p.m. on January 31, 2018.
Applications with missing or incomplete information or required documentation as of the due date will not be considered for funding.
Please allow one business day for processing before checking the status of your application.
1) Our organization would like to apply for funding for two (2) different programs. How do we do that?
- Download and complete a separate Non-County Agency Funding Application for each program
- On the application submission form, select “Yes” to the question “Are you submitting applications for more than one program or service?”
- Upload both applications to the upload box
When you click the “submit” button, the application submission form will submit both applications and all of your required supporting documentation.
2) Will agencies have the opportunity for an interview with the selections committee before or after the application is submitted?
It will be up to the Non-County Agency Funding Committee to determine if there will be an opportunity for non-county agencies to interview with the committee. The committee will determine this at the February 2, 2018 orientation meeting for the committee members.
If the Non-County Agency Funding Committee does decide to hold interviews, county staff will reach out to applicants with additional information and to schedule a time for an interview.
3) On the funding application, under the section titled “Alignment with NHC Strategy and Measurable Results,” the question asks us to identify the one (1) category that best aligns to the program or service for which we are requesting funding. We believe that our program or service aligns to multiple categories. How can we show this?
Select “Other” and then type in a list of the multiple categories that apply.
4) The Outside Agency Funding Policy handout that we received at the workshop states in section 2.2 that agencies need to show that they “contribute to the county’s strategic objectives and are consistent with key priorities.” Is there a list of the strategic objectives and the key priorities that we can refer to for this?
There is a check-off section on the application under “Alignment with NHC Strategy and Measurable Results” where agencies are asked to check the one category that best aligns to the program for which they are requesting funding. The items on the list include the strategic objectives and priorities.