NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC – Nine community members have been selected as honorees for the third annual Equity Awards Gala, hosted by the New Hanover County Office of Diversity and Equity. This annual event recognizes individuals in New Hanover County who have used their platforms to increase and promote equity and diversity in the community.
The Equity Awards Gala is set to take place at 6 p.m. on Friday, August 11 at the Wilmington Convention Center (10 Convention Center Drive). Tickets are now available to the public and can be purchased by clicking here.
“We are so excited to celebrate these amazing individuals who have worked so hard to champion the ideals of inclusion, diversity and equity in New Hanover County,” said Chief Diversity Officer Linda Thompson. “Their work has helped make our community a place that is welcoming to everyone. We hope that their efforts serve as an inspiration to others and this moment is a small thank you for everything they have done and continue to do.”
The nine award recipients were selected based on nominations submitted by the community. Each submission was reviewed and judged based on a variety of criteria and considered for one of eight categories.
This 2023 Equity Award honorees are:
- Delmarva Johnson, Pastor, Warriors of Christ Church – Faith-based Equity Award
- Michaela Howells, Associate Professor of Anthropology, UNCW – Education Equity Award
- Atiba Johnson, Business Advisor, Live Oak Bank – Business Equity Award
- Jhaniqua Palmer, Outreach Director, YWCA Lower Capie Fear – Non-profit Equity Award
- Shay Webb, Medical Writer, ICON Strategic Solutions – Health Equity Award
- Edward Adams, Program Coordinator, LGBTQ Center of the Cape Fear – Community Equity Award
- Rosetta Royster, Assistant District Attorney, District 6 – Community Equity Award
- Gabriel Canty, Laney High School Student and volunteer with Frankie’s Farmers Market – Youth Equity Award
- Robert Campbell, Pastor, New Beginning Christian Church – New Hanover County Diversity & Equity Champion Award
For more information about the Equity Awards Gala, click here.