Goals & Objectives
To serve and protect the people of New Hanover County with integrity and enforce the laws of North Carolina and the United States of America.
Goal Number One
To lower Part I crimes for a safer community.
- Reduce Part I crimes through intelligence-based predictive policing
- Reduce Part I crimes through information sharing/relationships with other law enforcement agencies to successfully identify and prosecute perpetrators of crimes
- Reduce inmate recidivism by offering enhanced personal growth opportunities for those housed within the Detention Facility through assistance in education, healthcare, and community re-entry via the Community One program
Goal Number 2
To hold ourselves to the highest standards of Professionalism, Responsibility, Accountability, and Integrity.
- In addition to mandatory in-service training, supervisors will complete additional hours of supervisory training with an emphasis on leadership and management skills
- Enhance efforts in community relations by increasing the number of community outreach contacts and/or volunteer opportunities from the previous calendar year
- Provide training opportunities, mentorships, and succession planning for deputies and detention officers who wish to further their careers and personal growth
- Strive to maintain a workforce which reflects and respects the diversity of our community through recruitment practices and training opportunities
Goal Number 3
To promote professional growth within the Sheriff’s Office
- Identify and implement growth with the Sheriff’s Office through technological advancements to better enhance our capabilities
- Promote growth and professionalism within the Sheriff’s Office through best practices and peer review in the form of attaining and maintaining accreditations
- Persevere to maintain a high level of peer support response to critical incidents involving law enforcement personnel
Goal Number 4
To ensure and enhance safe learning environments on the campuses of our educational partners.
- Facilitate the constant presence of School Resource Officers in the public schools and College Resource Officers on the campuses of Cape Fear Community College
- Protect, mentor, and educate students and staff learning and working on educational campuses
- Increase awareness on the dangers of gang and drug activity through continued outreach programs
Goal Number 5
To increase quality of life measures in New Hanover County through enhanced public safety.
- Expand community policing strategies through public/private organizational partnerships
- Increase exchange of information with citizens through the development and use of technology and media platforms
- Equip agency personnel with the modern tools and training necessary to effectively protect and serve the public
Goal Number 6
To ensure and enhance proper animal care within New Hanover County.
- Increase the number of animal adoptions
- Increase the number of rabies vaccinations
- Reduce animal law related violations through education and enforcement
- Maintain a professional and trustworthy relationship with our community
- Engage with the community in putting forth maximum effort to reduce crime and enhance public safety
- Develop strategies to recruit and retain high-quality employees, enhance employee satisfaction, and staff development
- Identify technology based investigative tools to improve case closure rates
- Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our service delivery to the public by expanding the use of technology
- Increase professional development programs for all personnel
- Work to build a community and culture where personnel and residents are respected, valued, and understood for their own identity