Strategy & Budget
The FY16-17 New Hanover County Budget was adopted by the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners at their meeting on June 20, 2016. The budget is in effect beginning July 1, 2016. You can view the full budget book here.
In addition, you can view a copy of the adopted budget in brief here or below in the interactive pdf.
Budget Work Sessions and Public Hearing:
On June 6, a public hearing on the FY16-17 recommended budget occurred at the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners meeting. You can learn about the budget recommendations that were presented and view the county’s presentation from the public hearing here.
On May 2, County Manager Chris Coudriet presented the FY16-17 recommended budget at the Board of Commissioners meeting. For more information, download a copy of the presentation slides and the May 2 recommended budget.
Commissioners also participated in three budget work sessions prior to the presentation of the recommended budget in May. The presentations from each session can be viewed here: March 23 – Budget Session; March 31 – Budget Work Session; April 14 – Budget Work Session.
Services provided by the New Hanover County Budget Department include:
- preparing a forecast of available revenues and anticipated expenditures;
- maintaining a balanced budget through the budget amendment process;
- obtaining input from departments concerning allocation levels;
- analyzing costs and revenue sources;
- generating a recommended and approved operating budget document;
- producing a capital improvements program;
- acting as consultant to advise departments on the financial conditions of their respective departments as well as assisting and providing analytical support for special projects and budgetary requests as needed;
- reviewing board agenda items with resources implications;
- monitoring policy and management controls
- and making recommendations for improvement of control, and the attainment of county goals and objectives.